Climate change is bringing more incidents of severe weather. Rain and thunderstorms are becoming more frequent and causing more damage in many parts of the country. South Carolina is not immune to these problems. Be sure to conduct a home insurance review with your agent at Allsurance Group, serving Spartanburg, SC, and the nearby communities, to make sure your home insurance is adequate.
How to Prepare for Storms
Here are some tips of things to do to protect a home from storm damage:
- Roof Maintenance: Keeping a roof in good condition is something that should be done with regular maintenance. Any small leaks can be a source of major damage in a big storm. For shingle and tile roofs, replace any broken tiles or damaged shingles.
- Clean Gutters: Keeping gutters free of debris lets rainwater runs off the roof properly and not collect in a pool on the roof that can cause a leak.
- Repair Downspouts: It is important to make sure any water that comes down from the roof goes properly through the downspouts to flow away from the home. Water that collects at the base of the home’s exterior walls, and then seeps down, can damage the foundation by causing cracks to form during freezing temperatures.
- Sump Pump: For homes with a basement and others with rooms subject to water seepage, be sure you have a sump pump and that it is in working condition.
- Seals Windows and Doors: Be sure the doors and windows have proper weather-stripping and do not leak.
- Siding Maintenance: Keep siding in good conditions through regular maintenance and repair any cracks or loose siding.
- Landscaping: Regularly trim trees. Large trees near home are especially dangerous. Considering cutting them way back or removing them altogether.
- Fencing: Check fence posts to make sure there are no loose ones. Strong winds can uproot them and turn them into projectiles.
- Emergency Generator: Have a working generator for emergency power and fresh fuel supply that is safely stored and ready for use.
- Storm Windows: If a storm is coming, put up storm windows or cover glass windows with strong plywood.
To get a quote for home insurance call 864-641-6371 to speak with your agent at Allsurance Group in Spartanburg, SC or use the online request form.